The Scent of Water
Job 14:7-9 For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease. Though the root thereof wax old in the earth, and the stock thereof die in the ground; Yet through the scent of water it will bud, and bring forth boughs like a plant.
I. The Plight of the Tree
A. The Tree that has Endured Destruction – vs. 7 if it be cut down
In this passage, Job is mourning the pain and uncertainties of life.
He starts out in verse 1 talking about the life of man being full of trouble from birth.
In verse 2, he mentions that a person’s life is like a flower.
In verse 7, he again mentions a tree.
Full of beauty, full of possibilities, full of delight and joy and blessing.
Full of life and grandeur and glory, only to be cut down.
1. Maybe from a Disaster (a storm can take down a large tree with lots of roots)
There are a lot of people that are broken from the storms of life.
Marital storms. Health storms. Emotional storms. Satanic storms. Addiction storms. Financial storms.
2. Maybe Deliberately (by someone with evil intentions)
There are people all around us that have been beaten and abused and are broken from evil people.
B. The Tree that has Experienced Decay – vs. 8 though the root was old in the earth
1. A result of Disease – sickness, insects, a wide variety of diseases cause the roots to die
2. A result of Drought – it has had no water for so long the root has withered and become rotten
C. The Tree has that has Encountered Death – vs. 8 “…and the stock thereof die in the ground”
1. Death usually speaks of finality – see vss. 10-14
2. Death speaks of no future
3. Death speaks of no feelings.
II. The Possibilities of the Tree
Verse 7 starts out with a powerful statement. “For there is hope…”
Never underestimate the power of hope.
· When man says there is no hope, there is hope!
· When the doctors say there is no hope, there is always hope!
· When the family walks away saying there is no hope, there is hope!
· When the preacher takes one long look at you and thinks there is no hope, there is hope!
As long as there is a God in heaven, THERE IS HOPE!!
Faith is the substance of things HOPED FOR!!!
Put your faith in God, and there is hope!!
· Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
· That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
It is easy for us to drag something or someone over into the HOPELESS column, but with God there is hope.
· If you don’t believe there is hope, ask Sarah who gave birth at the age of 90.
· If you think there is no hope, ask Naaman who was healed of his leprosy.
· If you insist that there is no hope, read how Lazarus came forth from the grave four days after he died.
· 16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,
· 17 (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.
· 18 Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.
· 19 And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara’s womb:
· 20 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;
· And I said, My strength and my hope is perished from the LORD:
· Remembering mine affliction and my misery, the wormwood and the gall.
· My soul hath them still in remembrance, and is humbled in me.
· This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.
· It is of the LORD’S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
· They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.
· The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him.
III. The Prescription for the Tree
The only thing that this tree needs according to verse 9 is the SCENT OF WATER.
What a statement!
A. For the child of God that has been cut down by the storms of life and experienced destruction…
Notice the two words in these three verses that paint the same picture: hope (vs. 7) and scent (vs. 9)
THE SCENT OF WATER can be anything:
It can be…
A message from God’s Word that speaks directly and boldly to your heart.
A Bible verse in your morning devotions that God uses to meet a need in your life.
A church service where the Holy Spirit revives the slumbering chords and rekindles the flames.
A testimony by one of your brothers or sisters in the Lord that brings a tear to your eye.
A song sung with God’s touch on it that reminds you of just how good God has been to you.
An answered prayer that reaffirms your faith in God’s love for you.
A special act of kindness by someone that shows their love and appreciation for you.
A move of God in the church that reveals His long-term plan for growth and health.
B. For the unbelieverthat has been cut down and destroyed by sin, devastated and dead…
THE SCENT OF WATER can be…
· A gospel tract left on their door.
· A spirit-filled soulwinner that cares enough about their soul to ask them about it.
· A Christian radio broadcast.
· A preaching message shared on their saved friend’s social media page.
· A Bible verse shared in love and compassion.
For the unbelieving world, the child of God is A SCENT OF WATER.
Conclusion: The scent of water can revive a tree that has suffered unimaginable things.
Thanks be to God – THE SCENT OF WATER can resurrect the destroyed life; the decayed life; the dead life!
It will produce:
A. Life – vs. 7 it will sprout again
Proverbs 13:12 Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but when the desire cometh, it is a tree of life.
The woman at the well said “I perceive.” I smell something I’ve never smelled before!
The soldier at the foot of the cross said, “Never man spake like this man!” This is a new scent!
Thomas in the upper room cried, “My Lord and my God!” I was about to give up, but I smell water!
Peter, fishing in the boat, threw his fisherman’s coat over him, cast himself into the water crying, “It is the Lord!”
On the Emmaus road, as those 2 men were talking, they got a scent of water and their hearts begin to burn!
The Ethiopian eunuch got a whiff of water while reading Isaiah 53 in the chariot.
Paul on the road to Damascus said, “Lord what wilt thou have me to do?” – I believe he smelled water!
B. Longevity – vs. 7 will not cease
John 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
The disciples in Acts 1 as they tarried in the upper room smelled a scent of water when the Holy Spirit came
They may have been fearful and doubted, but when God showed up, that little nucleus came alive!
Jesus was ascended, but he wasn’t gone! They had the Holy Ghost – another Comforter
C. Limbs – vs. 9 bring forth boughs
Pictures strength, growth, outreach, shade, a nesting place for birds and life.
Ezekiel 17:23 In the mountain of the height of Israel will I plant it: and it shall bring forth boughs, and bear fruit, and be a goodly cedar: and under it shall dwell all fowl of every wing; in the shadow of the branches thereof shall they dwell.
God is able to take the tree that has been cut down, destroyed, devastated by disease and drought and decay, and make it to bud again.
To bring forth life, to have boughs and limbs that will provide life and shelter for others.
All it takes is THE SCENT OF WATER!